Friday, October 5, 2012

Fragrance Friday (A Mini Episode)

It's week 2 of classes (week 1 of teaching), and I've already got more to do than there is time in the day, so this is the quick-and-dirty version of Fragrance Friday, just covering the new fragrances I happen to remember in some detail.

Parfums de Nicolaï New York (Woody Spicy: bergamot, cloves, lavender, lemon, green notes, thyme, cinnamon, pepper, paprika, patchouli, cedar, amber, vanilla, leather): Reminds me of Guerlain Derby and Habit Rouge, both of which I love. Clearly I have a thing for men's perfumes. Crazy longevity! Don't like the citrus top notes (too screechy), but they disappear after a few minutes leaving behind the lovely leather-musk-amber-moss base.
Hanae Mori Butterfly (Oriental: blackcurrant, strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose, peony, sandalwood, cedar, rosewood, almond): mostly vanilla, a bit of berry. reminds me a lot of Pacifica Island Vanilla, which I like better because it's just straight-up vanilla, none of that berry crap. Still, very inoffensive, even for someone like me who tends to hate berry gourmands.
L'Artisan La Chasse aux Papillons (Floral: tuberose, orange blossom, lime blossom, white flowers, jasmine): Tuberose-lite. A pollen-y, soft rendition of tuberose, which balances the voluptuousness and character of tuberose with a more traditional floral feel, making it a nice starter tuberose (and also a floral I can wear, as I find most traditional florals unbearably...floral). Disappointing longevity, but the scent while it lasts is lovely.
Arquiste Anima Dulcis (Oriental Vanilla: cinnamon, cocoa, vanilla, chili): Smoky gourmand incense (I don't care what the notes list says, this has incense!) to start with, becomes softer and sweeter but still complex over time. Really, really lovely. Arquiste keeps knocking me off my feet!
Chanel Coromandel (Oriental Woody: benzoin, woods, incense, patchouli, vanilla, musk, orange, neroli, olibanum, orris, citrus, rose, jasmine): Really complex to start (though I was rather frazzled this morning when I put it on, so I can't recall any details––will update with more details once I wear it again), then becomes a nice cozy amber, somewhat friendlier than Ambre Sultan but not different enough to own both, barring the opening.
Haus of Gloi Picaroon: The lovely Larie sent me a wonderful little package (including a pink blush!!!) and included several indie perfume samples––she knows me too well :) I dabbed this on last night before bed, and dozed off happily sniffing my arm. Picaroon smells like lemongrass and coconut and lime, very tropical and delicious (Liz, this is another case of "perfumes that smell like things I want to eat", and seriously, it's delightful). It lasted ~8 hours on me, impressive for an oil-based perfume, and smelled woodsier and less citrusy when I woke up this morning (at 6:15, because my life on Fridays sucks). A definite success!

What have you been wearing this week?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...