Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Shiseido Lacquer Rouge in Nymph Review and Swatches

Shiseido Lacquer
Rouge in Nymph

This is the first of the products I purchased as a birthday present for myself after seeing swatches of it on The Non-Blonde and Best Things in Beauty. I am all about MLBB shades, and Nymph seemed to fit the bill perfectly. I've also got a thing for comfortable, long-wearing lipsticks, and it sounded like the Lacquer Rouge formula would fulfill both those things. After having had it for a few days, I can safely say...

OMG YOU GUYS YOU NEED THIS. SERIOUSLY.

Ahem. I have worn this, and only this, every day since receiving it. What makes it so remarkable? Let me count the ways.

1) The color is magnificent. I was afraid it would be too warm, but it is not. On me, it is a perfectly neutral pinky-plum, very much a my lips but better shade, and I am inclined to think it may be one of those "universal" shades (scare quotes because I have too often been the victim of a so-called universal shade that looks downright repellant on me, but cool-toned ladies, don't be scared that this will be too warm!).
L to R, one swipe each: Revlon Sugar Plum, Shiseido Nymph,
Milani Modern Mauve
Compared to other similar colors in my collection, it is less brown and pinker than Revlon Sugar Plum, which on lips results in a lighter, pinker look, and is roughly equivalent in shade to Milani Modern Mauve when swatched but as it is far more opaque it ends up looking less red (and, obviously, more opaque) than the Milani when worn.
One coat Nymph, in direct sunlight






As a corollary, the finish is beautiful––one coat gives soft shine that makes lips look healthy and lush, and two makes it glossier, though I personally prefer it at one coat.


2) The texture is divine.
It spreads on so gorgeously with absolutely no poking or prodding necessary on my part, helped by the small doefoot applicator which allows for precise application, and it feels comfortable on––it's not lightweight, and I can definitely feel it's there, but it's not (too) sticky and isn't slick so I don't find myself rubbing my lips together and making it disappear (though I have tried rubbing them together to see how it fares, and it holds up admirably with no weird patches or streaks). It is drier and less glossy compared to Le Métier de Beauté Lip Crèmes and Chanel Rouge Allure Laques, and compared to Dragon it is much, much less high-maintenance with none of the migration or sliding around that Dragon is prone to.
One coat Nymph, in shade
3) The longevity is admirable. It doesn't survive eating, and it does transfer when drinking (or kissing, sigh), but the shine lasts about an hour with talking and drinking, and the stain another couple after that. I can apply it on the way to school in the morning, and even with drinking tea and talking too much, as teachers are wont to do, it looks stellar (slightly faded, but very much still there) after 2 hours. I love that I can apply it and not have to worry about it while teaching! Sugar Plum, while lovely and beloved, tends to fade away mid-class and I have to reapply. Nymph has no such problems.

I can't detect much of a scent (though I must give the caveat that my nose has been very off the past couple weeks due to this "plague") or taste. The packaging is pretty, an interestingly-bezeled black tube, though as it is made of plastic it is very lightweight (not flimsy, just not heavy and luxurious).

Bottom line? Allow me to quote myself, "OMG YOU GUYS YOU NEED THIS. SERIOUSLY." I'll have a FOTD with it sometime soon, but until then, get thee to a Shiseido counter!

Overview
$25 for 0.20 oz, available from Sephora, Nordstrom, Barneys, Shiseido, and Shiseido counters

Quality: 9.5
Effectiveness: 5
Ease of Use: 4.75
Senses: 5
Pigmentation: 5
Duration: 4.75
Consistency: 5
Price: 2
Value: 4.5
Grade: A-

What do you think of Nymph? What are your favorite liquid lipsticks?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...