Friday, June 22, 2012

Fragrance Friday


I haven't felt much like writing this past week, especially earlier in the week, as I finally finished with finals and grading and frankly wanted nothing to do with yet more writing. So I haven't been keeping track of weather or anything, so this FF post is going to be rather less wordy than previous ones (though let's be honest, when am I ever "not" wordy?).

Saturday, June 16
Morning: I think it was sunny? I wore Frederic Malle Carnal Flower (Floral: bergamot, melon, eucalyptus, ylang-ylang, jasmine, tuberose, salicylates), because I knew I was just going to be grading finals at home and so didn't have to worry about offending anyone's olfaction with tuberose overload. It ended up being a little too rubbery for me; I wish there were a way to know how my skin would react with fragrance before I wear it, because it sucks to put something on that I usually love only to find myself wondering why it's not working. Ah well.

Evening: Had a neighborhood graduation party to go to, and it was nice and warm so I sprayed Dior Eau Sauvage (Citrus Aromatic: lemon, basil, bergamot, cumin, lavender, fruit, jasmine, rose, carnation, iris root, coriander, patchouli, sandalwood, oakmoss, vetiver, musk, amber). Seriously yum, and I am super pleased to have a full bottle!

Sunday, June 17
Morning: Warm again, decided to try Chanel Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne (Citrus: petitgrain, herbs and spices, bergamot, green notes, neroli) again, sprayed it twice to try and make it last. Very citrusy and light, but only lasted 2 or 3 hours. Sigh.

Afternoon: Felt like something floral, so I tried Ormonde Jayne Frangipani Absolute (Floral Fruity: lime, linden blossom, magnolia, frangipani, jasmine, tubores, plum, green orchid, cedar, musk, amber, vanilla), but unfortunately my sample is almost empty so I only got a little, and topped it with Eau Sauvage for a really lovely lightly floral citrus chypre. Worked out well! Wish Frangipani Absolute were cheaper, though; $3.99 for 1/2 ml is just sad.

Evening: Tried out what I thought was Hermès Eau d'Hermès (see my notes in last week's FF, but as a refresher: I received it instead of Eau des Merveilles, which I'd ordered)) next to the new vial of Hermès Eau des Merveilles (Oriental Woody: lemon, orange, pepper, pink pepper, violet, amber, vetiver, cedar, oakmoss, fir) , which I'd received from Surrender to Chance. Turns out, I'd had Eau des Merveilles all along, it was just mislabeled. Helps explain why it didn't smell like pickles to me, though––no leather! So now I have to order Eau d'Hermès, just to see what it's like. That night, unfortunately, Eau des Merveilles came on far too orangey-sweet without the salty woodiness, but that seemed to be a fluke, as discussed below under Wednesday.

Monday, June 18
Morning: Thought it was warm, ended up not being. Transferred Ormonde Jayne Champaca (Floral: neroli, pink pepper, bamboo, champaca, Basmati rice, green tea, myrrh, musk) and dabbed the vial on my arm; fruity floral lacking the synthetic notes that characterize most members of the genre, but still, nothing to get excited about. Sprayed Chanel No. 19 (Floral Green: green notes, bergamot, rose, iris, vetiver, oakmoss, leather) down my shirt, as it was graduation day and I wanted to smell classy. Ended up skipping graduation to take a much-needed nap (3.5 hours, not too shabby), but I smelled classy nonetheless.

Evening: Earlier perfumes had worn off, so I sprayed Mitsouko (Chypre Fruity: rose, bergamot, jasmine, citrus, ylang-ylang, lilac, peach, vetiver, oakmoss, cinnamon, amber, spices) before heading over to the boy's. I seriously love that perfume, y'all. And desperately need a larger sample! Going on my to-buy list for July.

Tuesday, June 19
Morning: Headed to the coast with my mother, where it was supposed to be semi-warm (60s) and sunny, so I opted for Chanel Bois des Iles (Oriental Woody: aldehydes, bergamot, neroli, peach, jasmine, rose, lily of the valley, woody iris, ylang-ylang, vetiver, sandalwood, benzoin, musk) as it's great in a variety of weathers. Lovely gingerbread accord, and it lasted most of the day! Another larger-decant-needed scent.

Evening: Went out to dinner; Mom wore SL Féminité du Bois (Oriental Woody: cedar, musk, vanilla, rose, orange blossom, ylang-ylang, peach), I wore Parfums de Nicolaï Le Temps d'une Fête (Floral Green: osmanthus, narcissus, hyacinth, oakmoss, styrax). Green and somewhat powdery, must be the narcissus. Not quite me in much the same way that No 19 isn't quite me (though the PdN is friendlier than the Chanel), but I like it fine, and it's got great sillage, longevity, and strength.

Wednesday, June 20
Morning: Woke up to another lovely sunny day at the coast. Mom and I went and collected pretty rocks along the river to put in the pond in the backyard, so I just wore Hermès Eau des Merveilles, which is light and salty and pretty and went along great with the ocean breeze and sandy sunshine.

Thursday, June 21
Morning: Sunny and nice again for our last day at the beach, though it was quite windy and therefore a wee bit chilly. I wore Jicky (Oriental Woody: lemon, bergamot, mandarin, rosemary, jasmine, basil, orris root, tonka bean, benzoin, amber, sandalwood, leather, spices, rosewood, vanilla), which is my ultimate comfort scent, all vanilla and herbs and coziness. It lasted all day, including through the heat once we got back to Eugene (80 degrees and kind of muggy, yuck), and the boy said I smelled amazing. He's got good taste, what can I say?

Evening: Was planning to wear Shalimar, but forgot to before I got into bed and then was too lazy to get up again. Sigh.

Friday, June 22
Morning: Oh hai, rain and cold! How nice of you to visit. Low 60s and rainy, so I opted for Bois des Iles again. Still yummy. Also burned Pacifica Mexican Cocoa (Oriental Spicy: nutmeg, cinnamon, almond, vanilla, mexican chocolate) candle, which made my office smell yummily gourmand. Between its chocolate and BdI's gingerbread, I felt like I was in a bakery, which is never not awesome.

What have you been wearing this week? Have you tried any of these perfumes? What did you think?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...