Monday, December 31, 2012

Inspired By: Cacti

I considered doing a "year in review" post, but decided that I spend enough time on here rambling introspectively, and as this is a beauty blog, I should perhaps spend some time doing beauty things! So, I decided to attempt something never before attempted here: an "inspired by" post. Generally my FOTD posts are based on products I'm testing, but I so enjoy reading other bloggers' posts that center on a theme (Getting Cheeky and Cute and Mundane, in particular), so I've decided to take a page from their books. The source of inspiration: the cactus and succulent garden at Sherman Gardens and Library in Corona del Mar, outside Newport Beach. The entire gardens are delightful––my mother and I went there when we had a few hours to spare before tea on the Queen Mary, and had a marvelous time wandering around with the mere $3 entrance fee––but the cactus and succulent garden was particularly breathtaking. I took nearly 50 photos in an attempt to capture the magic, and while I don't think I quite did, here are some that came close. (I was going to try and get this into an awesome collage, but ran out of time. Something to plan for in 2013!)



I love how it's a flower, but really it's a cactus! Whoaaaa

A sea of succulents!

It looks like a waterfall and pool, isn't that awesome?!

The photo I used as my color palette is below; I just adored the combination of greens, blues, and pinks.

And here are the products I used:

And, of course, a few snapshots of the final look. The boy was the photographer, so there were about 100 pictures, of which approximately 90 were me looking completely ridiculous. I included one of them just for kicks :)




For my eyes, I did Inglot 428 on the outer half blending in, Inglot 32 on the inner half blending out, Inglot 428 patted into the crease, Inglot 415 patted on the center of the lid, Inglot 415 and 32 below the eyes, and Urban Decay Mildew on the upper lashline

Me imitating him imitating me, bahaha

In hindsight, I wish I'd included more pinky purples and focused more on the green, but I had fun trying!

Thank you, as always, for being the wonderfully patient, supportive readers you are! The blog has evolved a lot in the last year, moving away from reviews and just beauty to personal, off-topic posts (and less-frequent ones at that), fulfilling the blog's title after all, and I'm so glad that you've stuck with me. Who knows what the next year will bring, but here's hoping it's fabulous!

Hope you all have a very happy New Year, and I'll see you in 2013!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...