Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Dior Addict Gloss in 783 Atout Coeur Review and Swatches

OH HI GUYS. I'm not even going to try and give excuses for my long absence––at this point, y'all are probably used to it, eh? Suffice it to say, it involved stomach problems and a conference in San Diego (where I got to see my girl V!). I originally wrote this post as a back-to-school thing, as that was why I purchased this gloss, but since it's been 7 weeks since school started, I probably should change it. But I'm not gonna, because I have grant essays to finish, and, well, whatever. BJB, bringing you timely posts since 2011! Ha. haha. ha.

Some people buy a nice new pair of shoes or a coat at the beginning of a new school year; I buy a new lippie. Before starting my first year of grad school, I bought Clinique High Impact in After Party (which is a beautiful color, but the shimmer is a bit much for my taste, and I've become too lazy to apply it sheerly over balm, as I did back in the day), and last year I picked up Rouge Dior in Rouge Favori, a combo wedding/back-to-school present to myself. This year, I wanted to try the new Dior gloss formula after Larie raved about it, and since it's $29.50 a tube, I decided to get something that I could see myself wearing all the time. For me, that means something pinky-plum without glitter. Fortunately, Dior had just such a shade in 783 Atout Coeur.
Hello, beautiful.
The color is a very pretty neutral plummy pink with fine, primarily silver, shimmer.
closeup to show the shimmers
It's quite opaque, sufficing perfectly well on bare lips, and the shimmer is subdued and serves to add to the shine. The texture is creamy and smooth, and feels somewhere between a gel and a cream on my lips with minimal stickiness. It gets somewhat goopy if overapplied, so I have learned to always wipe one side of the brush off on the edge of the tube before putting it on, which gives me plenty of pigment to cover both lips. While some may like the brush, and it's certainly plenty soft and dense, my method of application is apparently too swishy and I will sometimes end up with gloss outside my lip lines, especially on top. It has gotten better with time, though, and I can now apply it sans mirror.
Atout Coeur is fourth from right. Complete line-up, left to right:
MAC Positively Dashing, Shiseido Nymph, MAC Plumful, Revlon
Sugar Plum
, Golden Rose Perfect Shine Lipstick 239, Dior Atout Coeur,
L'Oreal Rose On and On, MAC Lustering, MAC Sweetie
Even better? It lasts a solid 2 hours with talking and tea but no food, and leaves my lips supremely soft and moisturized.
Atout Coeur on bare lips; pretend my earrings don't clash, mk?
Basically? I want more. Many of the shades have glitter in them, so I'll be steering clear of those, but Bed of Roses looks very promising. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by my lippie collection at the moment, though, so I'll be holding off on that purchase until I weed out some of my unwanteds! Needless to say, Atout Coeur will be staying. I think it's true love! (But does anyone know what "Atout Coeur" means? Google tells me it's "Hearts are trumps", which I assume is related to cards, but that's not exactly helpful...)

Overview
$29.50 for 0.21 oz, available from Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, and department stores

Quality: 9.5
Effectiveness: 5 (shiny and moisturizing!)
Ease of Use: 4.5 (I would prefer a doefoot applicator, but I am probably definitely weird.)
Senses: 5 (extremely lightly sweetly scented; my notes originally had it as unscented, but there is a very faint bit of sweetness that fades quickly; and did I mention moisturizing?!)
Pigmentation: 5
Duration: 4.25 (for something so glossy, it lasts a surprisingly respectable 2 hours)
Consistency: 5
Price: 1
Value: 3.75*
Packaging: +0.5 (it's shiny, it's weighty, it's strangely shaped)
Grade: A-/B+

*I haven't been able to weigh its grams/use, because the curved top to the wand means I can't stand it on my scale, but I took the average of the 7 glosses/liquid lipsticks I have weighed and used that as my amount per use. This is probably an underestimate, as Atout Coeur is very thick and plush, but it's probably close enough. Using that metric, each of the 330 applications of 0.018 g costs $0.089, meaning that a tube would last 2 months if worn constantly for 10 hours a day at $0.45/day, putting it on the high end of daily gloss cost.

If you have the spare cash, I would highly recommend Atout Coeur, or any of the other shades in the line. It's everything you could want in a gloss, and I say that as a general gloss-hater!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...