Monday, July 29, 2013

Guest Post: Manicure Monday

Hey, y'all. Long time no see! I'm having a blast in Turkey and Berlin (particularly today, as it is my birthday!!), hence the total dereliction of my blogging duties. Today's post is brought to you by one of my dear friends Z, a talented artist, hilarious storyteller, and all-around great person. Enjoy!

Happy Manicure Monday!  I'm one of Amy's college friends.  I don't wear a lot of makeup but I do share Amy's passion for nail polish.  I usually prefer cremes, which is why the manicure I'm about to endorse is such an unusual choice for me.

I have creme polishes in a range of colors, but my favorites are deep nudes and dusty pinks.  Thus it makes sense that when I branch out into something more shiny, I go for colors that harmonize with my skin tone.  Sally Hansen Firefly fits the bill.  It's a gorgeously restrained duochrome that shifts subtly from rose to light olive-gold, hitting different notes of copper on the way.  I thought Firefly would be too warm for my coloring but it worked surprisingly well on me.

I love nail polish because I love color - every time I go to the drugstore I get sidetracked by the nail polish displays.  I had been eyeing Essie Stroke of Brilliance since it first came out:  the combination of a calm periwinkle-gray hue and a bold sparkly texture immediately stood out to me.

This morning the magic happened - two coats of Firefly followed by a coat of S.O.B. (heh) and an additional layer of clear topcoat.  I had to dab extra sparkles on a goodly number of nails, but I can imagine a more laid-back person not needing to do this.  My nails were drying for a long time, but it was so worth it.  I love the contrast of the colors up close and the sparkly lilac effect they create from a distance.  It's a perfect "I'm-on-vacation" manicure, full of bright light and texture.

Awesome, right? Now I need to get my hands on Firefly, stat. What are your favorite unexpected color combinations?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...