Thursday, September 5, 2013

Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimited BG 935 Review and Swatches

Sorry for my most recent absence! I went down to LA for a wedding of a friend of the boy's, which was lots of fun but didn't leave much time for blogging (or work, but shhhh, don't tell). I'm back at home again, though, and hopefully will be staying put for awhile! Which means more posts for you! Hooray!
So, I know the lipstick marks on the inside of the cap
are gross, but I figure it's good to show you what it
actually looks like after being used! (That, and I'm
too lazy to clean it. You're welcome.)
Early in April (yes, I'm super behind), Shu Uemura had 15% off and free shipping, which by itself wouldn't have been enough to tempt me, but for some still-unexplained reason, all their Rouge Unlimited lipsticks were marked down to $15 (regularly $30), and I couldn't resist $13.50 luxury lipsticks. So I browsed swatches (Drivel about Frivol's were extremely helpful!) and picked out two that I thought sounded promising: Beige 935 and Pink 375. I hoped that BG 935 would be a good MLBB, and that PK 375 could fill the fuchsia-shaped gap in my lipstick collection; today, I focus on the former.

top to bottom: Revlon Sugar Plum, Becca
Gisela, Elizabeth Arden ??, Shu 935
BG 935 is a nude pink in a cream finish. It's nice and easy to apply and feels creamy and moisturizing on; immediately after applying it can look obvious on any dry spots on my lips, but after a few minutes it settles and looks lovely. It doesn't have the best wear time, clocking in around an hour and a half, but I find myself reaching for it quite often when I want something low-key. It's one of the few lipsticks my mother has commented favorably upon without being prompted, too! (The others being Revlon Sugar Plum and Burberry Mallow Pink, which I will agree look rather fabulous on me. If anyone knows of a dupe for Sugar Plum in a better formula, I will name my first non-child dependent for you!)

Taken months ago, when I had bangs (soon
to return!)
I like the formula, even though it doesn't last very long, and the goes-with-anything color makes the lack of wear time more than forgivable. The packaging is weird and feels somewhat cheap, though it does look cool and futuristic, and altogether I can't say I would recommend the line at full price––there are better formulas out there for a similar price (though again, my lips are super weird, so take that with a grain of salt). I'm very glad to have this one, though!

Overview
$30 for 0.12 oz, available from Shu Uemura

Quality: 8.5
Effectiveness: 4 (doesn't provide "supreme moisture", but it is slightly hydrating)
Ease of Use: 5
Senses: 5 (unscented, unflavored, creamy and light)
Pigmentation: 5
Duration: 3.5
Consistency: 4.5
Price: 1.5 (for the price I paid, 3.5)
Value: 3.5* (for the price I paid, 4.5)
Grade: B

*At 0.009 g per application, on average, a tube provides roughly 347 applications at $0.086 each. Applying every 1.5 hours means a tube would last nearly 2 months at $0.516/day. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...