Sunday, January 26, 2014

Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in Mightiest Maraschino Review and Swatches

Another lippie post! I'm on a kick.

I placed a rather sizable order at Sephora during the VIB sale, and decided to use some of my points to pick up a mini Mightiest Maraschino––we all know how much I love my lippies, after all. After my Givenchy Violine Précieux didn't wow me, I figured I might as well give this a swatch, fully expecting it, too, to fall short of my expectations.

Turns out, I should've put my money towards the Chubby Stick Intenses, because damn, son, this is some good shit.

Mightiest Maraschino is a bright true red on me (it pulls fuchsia on Larie, though, so ymmv).
left to right: Chanel Dragon, Clinique Mightiest Maraschino,
NARS Mascate, Dior Rouge Favori, Le Métier de Beauté Framboise
Crème, LMdB Fraise Crème
It's gorgeously pigmented and lightweight––I continue to be impressed with how little product is needed, and I love that the end result retains a little bit of translucency: it makes the bold shade more approachable. The pencil format is actually ideal for application, though I'm not sure how it will work once the tip dulls; since it's pointy, it allows for very precise lining of the lips and quick and easy filling. It's creamy, but because it's so lightweight and pigmented, it doesn't move around or develop lines. I don't find it particularly moisturizing, but it's not drying, either, and the longevity is fantastic––I get a solid 3 hours of perfect wear, and reapplication is easy peasy.

Even though I'm not crazy about the packaging (chubby lip pencils are rather lacking in the luxury factor), I love Mightiest Maraschino. So much that I ordered the full size of Roomiest Rose, because one can never have too many MLBBs. Just as one cannot have enough reds! Especially when they're as pretty as this one.

Overview
$17 for 0.10 oz, available from Sephora, Nordstrom, Clinique, and pretty much every department store

Quality: 9.25
Effectiveness: 4 (supposed to be moisturizing, which it isn't quite, and pigmentation is supposedly a "happy medium" between sheer and opaque, but this shade is very much in the latter group)
Ease of Use: 4.5 (the easiest bold red in my collection)
Senses: 4 (if they didn't make the claim of it being moisturizing, this would be a 5)
Pigmentation: 4 (based on what it's supposed to be; I love how pigmented it is, though!)
Duration: 4.75
Consistency: 5 (so lightweight!)
Price: 2.75
Value: 5*
Grade: B+

*I assume that an application takes 0.007 g on average (based on amount used for other lipsticks), which means every tube has 404 applications at $0.042 apiece. A tube would last 3.5 months with 10-hour daily wear applying every 3 hours at $0.168/day, which is quite affordable and long-lasting, comparatively!

What do you think of Mightiest Maraschino? What was the last product that pleasantly surprised you?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...