Friday, June 28, 2013

The Requisite Goodbye Reader Post

Alright, you've probably all heard about how Google Reader is dying on July 1 (that's Monday, and HOW IS IT ALREADY JULY). So many of my feeds have posted about its imminent demise, but I figured I should mention it, just in case one of you has managed to avoid all prior notices. If you don't use Google Reader, 1) how do you keep up with your websites?!, and 2) disregard this post.

You've probably already decided on a Reader alternative, and there are tons of posts out there that give the options, but my personal favorite is Feedly. It's cross-platform and works equally well on my computer, iPad, and Android phone; you can customize how it looks and works; it has its own cloud and can connect to a lot of other services; and the user interface is really, really nice. Bloglovin' apparently also has a full feed service, as does The Old Reader. If you only read feeds on a mobile device, Flipboard was my former favorite, but Feedly can be customized to be quite similar. There's others I'm forgetting (such as Reeder, for Apple, which costs money and which I don't like as much as Feedly anyways), and what works for me might drive you batty. Stupid Google discontinuing Reader (she says on her Google-run blog). Oh well...

Do you use a feed reader? What's your favorite Reader alternative? 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...