Saturday, March 1, 2014

Skincare Saturday: Bioré UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence Sunscreen SPF 50+ PA+++ Review

I'm taking a break from the Rainshadow Labs coverage (but don't worry, it'll be back) to talk about my new HG BFF product: Bioré UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence Sunscreen SPF 50+ PA+++, henceforth referred to using pronouns and deictics, because that name is ridiculous.
"this" / "it"
I have pale skin that slightly tans, but mostly just burns and then freckles. I actually like my freckles (angel kisses!), but skin cancer and sunburns are pretty shitty, so sunscreen needs to be a daily staple for me. In spite of this, though, I've not always been as diligent about applying it as I should be (I know! Bad past Amy.) My skin is also really, really oily, and prone to freaking the fuck out at the introduction of any new product, but after reading the positive reviews at MUA, I decided to pick up a tube of this. My prior declaration of HG BFF status should tell you how that went for me! Here's why I love it:

It doesn't smell like sunscreen! It smells very mildly citrusy, but it fades almost immediately after application.
It doesn't feel like sunscreen! As the name suggests, it's very moist, like a moussey gel, and it spreads wonderfully and––even better––soaks in immediately. I apply the suggested 1/4 teaspoon of product to my face (and another ~1/8 to my neck), which has always felt like way too much with prior sunscreens, but this is completely dried down within a minute of application and feels lightweight to boot. It's basically like applying thick water that evaporates really fast, but leaves behind a gift of SPF. It has hyaluronic acid in it as well, which helps moisturize, though I always wear it over my RSL moisturizer. Come summer, it may well be sufficient for my skin's needs all on its own.
It doesn't wear like sunscreen! Most sunscreens contribute to my oiliness, but this actually helps prevent it––I find my foundation wears better (looks better, lasts longer) when applied over this vs. over moisturizer alone. Even when I do my makeup before going out at night, I put this one first because it makes my makeup apply so well. Do you realize how ridiculous that is?! It's a sunscreen I actively want to wear.

Way less than I use, but I didn't want to waste too much
for this picture 
Partly spread; once fully applied and dried, it is invisible
Basically, this is the most un-sunscreen sunscreen I have ever tried, and I LOVE IT. I got a 50 ml tube for ~$13 with free shipping from the US on eBay, since it's only sold in Asia, and have already ordered another tube––may I never need survive a day without this magic for the rest of my life, amen.

Ingredients, via Amazon:

Water (Aqua), Alcohol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Lauryl Methacrylate/Sodium Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, Dimethicone, Acrylates/C10-30 Acrylate Crosspolymer, Glyceryl Stearate, Agar, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis Orange Fruit Extract, Xylitol, Butylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium EDTA, BHT, Fragrance (Parfum).

FutureDerm calculated how much sunscreen you should apply to your face to get adequate coverage, which is 1.24 mL, a little more than 0.04 oz, or 1/4 teaspoon. That means a tube of this will last 40 days at $0.325/day, though since I apply it to my neck as well, it's closer to 30 days at $0.433/day.
The average size of plain sunscreen (no tinted BBs) with SPF 50 available at Sephora is 54.9 ml, with an average price of $36.8, which works out to 33 days at $1.115/day. Neutrogena is ~$10 for 3 oz, so a tube would last 53 days at $0.189/day. That means this Bioré costs less than half as much as department store brands and slightly more than twice as much as drugstore options with comparable coverage, which is fine for me. This shit's magical unicorn tears; less than 50¢ a day seems like a steal.

I cannot imagine anyone who wouldn't love this sunscreen––it layers beautifully, you can combine it with your favorite moisturizer, and who doesn't want sun protection that plays well with makeup? Like I said, HG BFF.

What's your favorite sunscreen?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...