Friday, May 20, 2011

Mattify! ULTRA

I have extremely oily skin.  If I wash my face and don't put anything on it, I am shiny within half an hour, and slick within an hour.  I was searching for a primer that would help control my oil, and came across a review for Mattify! on EDS, and after reading the reviews on MUA, I ordered the smaller size, opting for the ULTRA formulation instead of the regular or sensitive, because I figured I needed as much help as I could get.

It arrived in a few days, and I started using it immediately.  It's been a couple of months since then, so I feel pretty confident in my assessment of the product.  The website says,
   
"All of our Mattify! Loose Powders are feather light and allow skin to breathe. They can be worn alone, under foundation to protect from harsh ingredients found in most cosmetics, and over foundation for an air-brushed poreless finish. [...] Each Mattify! Powder formula actually cleanser your skin throughout the day. The Kaolin Clay works to absorb dirt and oil from your pores. When you wash your face at the end of the day, you whisk away all the pore-clogging gunk that would have otherwise remained inside your pores."
 
I can attest to the lightness of the powder; I can't even tell I'm wearing it.  I'm a little skeptical about their claims wrt the cleansing properties of the powder, but I haven't noticed it clogging my skin, either.  They recommend applying the powder before and/or after foundation, and the directions for the ULTRA powder recommend doing both for maximum oil absorption.  The ingredients in the ULTRA are the two in the original (Kaolin clay and corn starch), as well as silica spheres (NOT the same as silicone!), titanium dioxide, magnesium stearate, and rice powder.  The powder is capable of absorbing 5x its weight in oil.  It's $13 for 12g in a 30g sifter jar; shipping from their website is $1.50.
 
I've been using the powder both under and over foundation daily, with occasional touch-ups during the day; I apply it with my E.L.F. Complexion Brush, since they suggest using a fluffy powder brush to apply (I have found it gives better results than when I use my E.L.F. Powder Brush Powder Brush, which is denser and shorter), and lightly tap the powder on my face before blending.  It keeps me shine-free for 2+ hours, and it takes 3-4 for me to get slick.  It never leaves me looking powdery or flat, unlike some other powders I've used, and it leaves no white residue (which was a problem I had with the E.L.F. High Definition Powder).  For someone with just oily skin, rather than my super-duper oily skin, I can imagine Mattify! would keep the oil away for most of the day.  For me, it's not perfect, but it's the best I've found yet, and it's quite affordable for the amount you get.  I still have a lot left in my jar, and I am not restrained in my use of it!

Overview
Price: 8 ($14.50 including shipping is a little steep for me, but compared to other primer and setting powders, it's quite reasonable)
Value: 9 (you get a lot of product for the price, and it lasts a long time!)
Quality: 14 (does what it says it will and mattifies without making me cakey)
Pigmentation: 4 (lacking in pigmentation, just as it should be! Those with darker skin may have problems with it giving them a white cast, though.)
Duration: 4 (only lasts ~3 hours on me, but that's a really long time for how oily I am!)
Consistency: 5 (smooth, finely milled, blends beautifully)
Buy again?: Yes
Grade: B+
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...