Monday, November 24, 2014

Clinique Cheek Pop Berry Pop Review and Swatches

I really didn't intend to be absent for so long, but...well, time flies when you're having fun (and by "having fun", I mean "working frantically", which fortunately are not mutually exclusive). My union is on the verge of a strike, scheduled for December 2––you can read about it here, here, and here, and if you'd like to support us, you can sign the petition here––which adds further excitement to an already-full schedule. Basically, I love my union, my university has disappointed me (gee, I feel like this has happened before...), and I have no time. But here, some blush!
pristine and beautifully untouched Clinique Berry Pop*
Unlike Liz, I am not a blush fiend; my preferences run more to lips and eyes. But the Clinique Cheek Pops, released awhile back, got such good reviews and are so flipping cute that I added them to my wishlist. When my friend L asked me what I wanted for my birthday/broken heart, I sent her a (rather absurdly long) list and told her to choose. She picked this blush, Berry Pop, and Laura Mercier Rose Gold Caviar Stick (to be reviewed, at some point, maybe), along with a bajillion deluxe samples that she'd generously picked up with her points. Friends are the best, right?
so much fun stuff!
In spite of an abundance of products to review, I'm breaking my self-imposed hiatus with a blush post, which should tell you something about just how great Berry Pop is. Here's why I love it:

–The packaging is adorable but not twee. The flower design is intricate, long-lasting, and very beautiful, and the plastic casing is thick, weighty, and pleasing to hold. Plus, I love that I can see through it––that'll come in handy when I pick up the rest of the shades!

–The color is perfect for fall (and winter, and spring...). On me, it's a deepened pink with a very slight sheen, which applies as a smooth satin. It goes fabulously with berries, pinks, and plums, so appropriate this time of year.

–It's pigmented, soft, blendable, and utterly foolproof. I can apply it with my fluffy RT blush brush without any extra care. The texture of the blush is quite firm, but beautifully silky and it spreads on the skin just wonderfully––I don't even have to blend, it just does it itself.
left to right: Clinique Berry Pop applied with blush brush, two finger swipes of Berry Pop, Hourglass Radiant Magenta,
MAC Subtle Breeze*, Annabelle Rosewood*, Illamasqua Tweak
It's cooler than any of my other pink-leaning blushes, and swatches more fuchsia than berry. The closest is Hourglass Radiant Magenta, but it's lighter, sheerer, and has more of a sheen; MAC Subtle Breeze* and Annabelle Rosewood* are both a lot warmer, and Illamasqua Tweak is absolutely nothing like it except in intensity of pigment, but it's less blendable than the Clinique.

–It lasts all day, which is pretty typical for blushes on me, but more remarkably, it keeps its same soft satin finish and looks the same after 8 hours as it does freshly applied. And that brings me to the most excellent part of it all:
I'm growing my hair out and it is annoying.
Clinique Super Strawberry** on lips
–It just looks fucking great on. Seriously, it makes me look healthy, awake, and pretty, effortlessly. It's just great. I wanted to get Plum Pop during the VIB sale, but managed to talk myself out of it due to a general lack of funds. And at $21 apiece, they're not too obscenely expensive, so I think I'll spring for one sometime when I'm feeling blushy. Grade: A
$21 for 0.12 oz, available from Sephora and department stores

So, blush! Yay! Have you tried any of the Cheek Pops? What's your go-to fall blush? Are you part of a union? How have you been??
*Gifts from lovely friends
**Acquired using Sephora points
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...