Sunday, December 11, 2011

Color Club Beyond the Mistletoe Nail Polish in Sugarplum Fairy Review and Swatches

So, I posted a little while ago about an awesome find I had at Ross: 6 new Color Club nail polishes, plus top coat, for $7.99. It's called Beyond the Mistletoe, and it's the new holiday collection, priced normally at $48. You can imagine my extreme satisfaction at finding out that not only did I have 6 new glitter/holos in my collection, but that I'd gotten them for 83% off retail. That's, like, the most a poor (monetarily, not pathetically, though I suppose the latter could be considered, too) beauty junkie could ever hope for. I was, frankly, paralyzed with choice about what one I should wear first, but ended up deciding to go for the most holographically glittery awesome one: Sugarplum Fairy.
Pictures are worth a thousand words in this case (and probably usually, but hey, I'm a linguist, and a verbose one at that––if you want brevity, look elsewhere), but in case you can't figure it out from the buttload of pictures below, Sugarplum Fairy is a lavender-toned, super-holographic glitter in a clear base. It's almost linear in some lights, though it's not quite dense enough to be truly linear. The formula is really thick, and I found that lots of quick swipes with the brush were the best way to get even coverage, though thinning it works well, too (but I realize not everyone is willing to get nail polish thinner). It wore for 3 days on me, and probably would have lasted longer if not for my terrible chippy nails. One big thing is that it, like other glitters, absolutely inhales topcoat, so you have to use a lot. One coat of Gelous, topped with a fast-dry top coat, almost gets it smooth, but another coat of Gelous after or the next day (or both, possibly) is necessary to get a really smooth, glassy finish. That's not a fault of this polish in particular, but rather a hazard of glitter polishes in general. But hey, look at these pictures and tell me it's not worth it:




All pictures are 3 coats with 1-2 layers of top coat. Isn't it just mesmerizing? I love it so much, I can't even tell you. (You can't see, but I'm drooling. It's pretty gross. Be glad you can't see.)

Sugarplum Fairy is quite dense, but one coat over another color is pretty much perfect for giving holo-ness without covering up the base color:
1 coat Sugarplum Fairy over 2 coats Wet N Wild Buffy the Violet Slayer, no top coat (hence the bumpy finish)

In short: if you find this, get it. It's so gorgeous, and pictures really don't do it justice. But be prepared for a very painful removal process––it took me forever and a half to get rid of all the glitter stuck on my cuticles. If nothing else, the annoyingness of removal definitely makes me keep glitter polishes on longer (part of that's also because they're so freaking cool!).

Overview
$6–$8 for 0.50 oz, available at some drugstores and as part of a set from Ross

Quality: 8.5
Effectiveness: 5
Ease of Use: 2
Senses: 3.5 (needs lots of top coat)
Pigmentation: 5
Duration: 4.5
Consistency: 3.5 (needs thinner, honestly)
Price: 3 (if you buy it individually; if you can find it at Ross, it's a bit more than $1, which is a phenomenal deal)
Value: 5
Grade: B-/C+


As always with glitter polishes, remember that my grading system doesn't take into account how AWESOME THE COLOR IS. So don't think that a B- means I don't think it's worth getting, because I definitely do. I am so immensely pleased to have this in my collection, and even though it's a PITA to remove, I will wear it frequently.

What do you think of Sugarplum Fairy? Have you picked up any polishes from the Beyond the Mistletoe collection? 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...