Friday, December 6, 2013

Fragrance Friday: Perfume Tag

I'm getting back into smelling new perfumes and will have my thoughts about some of them next week, but this week I was inspired by Larie's Perfume Tag post, so I'm gonna do that instead.

1. What is the first perfume you purchased?
Probably Davidoff Cool Water Woman, when I was in high school. I would probably hate it now, given my general aversion to aquatics. My first real perfume love, though, was Chanel Chance eau fraiche. I haven't smelled it in years, so I don't know if I would still like it, but that was my signature scent for most of college. I went through two bottles!

2. What's your signature perfume? (also 5. What's your favorite spring/summer perfume? and 6. What's your favorite fall/winter perfume?)
I don't have one, anymore! In the cooler months, I gravitate towards ambers and warm woods, like Sonoma Scent Studio Forest Walk and Winter Woods, Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur, Atelier Amber Nue, Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Safran Troublant, and Chanel Coromandel (though my sample is empty!!), among others. In summer, I tend to reach for citruses (Dior Eau Sauvage, Arquiste L'Etrog) and florals (Tauer Carillon pour un Ange, Diptyque L'Ombre dans l'Eau, Arquiste Flor y Canto). And Jo Malone Earl Grey and Cucumber is awesome always. There's too many pretty perfumes to choose just one!

Also, today I woke up to this:
Technically, not this, as I took this after my nap. But this,
minus 2 inches!
Super weird for Eugene, especially this
early in the winter. Happy end of term!
I got to trek to the bus stop carrying a bag full of cake (it's the last day of classes, and I promised my students a party after they finished their final test) at 7:30 in the morning. It was pretty awesome, actually. Snow is great! I wore Diptyque Eau Duelle, which is a warm vanilla musk––I think it's actually a less interesting version of Diptyque Volutes, but its simplicity was nice in the cold, quiet morning.

3. What's your most recent perfume purchase?
I...am not sure. It's been a very long time since I've bought a full bottle; it must have been Diptyque L'Ombre dans l'Eau? In terms of spending money on stuff that smells, though, I recently bought 7 samples from Aedes.

4. What perfume would you wear at night time/date night?
In summer, a sultry tuberose, like Flor y Canto; in winter, a rich amber or musk, like Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan or Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur. Fall, probably something like Serge Lutens Cedre (woody tuberose) or Amouage Lyric Woman (woody rose), and spring, Carillon pour un Ange (though, as it was gifted to me by the boy, I would wear this in other seasons, too!). Bedtime/hanging at home perfumes are always softer and sweeter, something like Diptyque Tam Dao and Eau Duelle, or Solstice Scents Manor.

7. What's your favorite scent category (fruity, floral, fresh, oriental, woods)?
Woods and orientals and ambers and not-too-sweet gourmands. But especially ambery anything. I love amber.
ETA: OMG how could I forget chypres?! *facepalm* Some now-discontinued version of Mitsouko was my absolute HG, would-be-signature scent, but the bottle I purchased and every one I've smelled recently isn't the same. DSH Pandora, however, is a very adequate substitute––the moss makes it verge on antiquated, and I just love it. Unfortunately, my sample is almost empty, and that shit is expensive. Someday I will own a bottle!

8. What perfumes are you currently lusting after?
I have a list about 50 long of ones I'd like to sample, and about 20 samples I'd like full bottles of. Right off the top of my head, I would say I'm lemming bottles of L'Artisan Safran Troublant, Chanel Coromandel, Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur, and Atelier Amber Nue. (ETA: And DSH Pandora. In case you'd forgotten since the last one.)

9. What perfume do you really dislike?
Oh man, so many. I hate anything with berry (Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire), powder (Guerlain L'Heure Bleue), melon (Amouage Honour Woman), and screechingly synthetic fruity florals (just about anything from a celebrity, as well as many new releases from brands).

10. What fragrance/cologne do you like on your significant other?
I gave the boy a bunch of samples for his birthday, but some of the ones I love (like Parfums de Nicolaï Maharadjah) smell too feminine to him (I try to tell him that amber is unisex, but he associates anything sweet with femininity, which is weird, considering how much candy he eats!). He does like Solstice Scents Inquisitor, a lovely incense, which is currently unavailable due to lack of one or more ingredients. I've ordered him some other Solstice Scents samples to try, so hopefully he'll find something he likes there! I included a few cedar-based scents, as it's a note I find very masculine, so we'll see how he feels about it.

Your turn!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...