Saturday, February 8, 2014

Skincare Saturday: Rainshadow Labs HCLC Super Skin Rejuvenating Creme

We're currently in the midst of a freezing rain storm, which is awesome.




See? Amazing! I mean, also super dangerous and inconvenient and murderous, but...pretty! It's a good thing we got snow beforehand (about a foot), because it meant that the ice couldn't form a completely flat, uniform surface on the ground, so we could break through the upper frozen layer and still be able to walk around. The last time we had freezing rain, when I was in high school, the whole world was an ice rink, which made navigating outside well-nigh impossible!

But anyways, this is actually supposed to be a skincare post. So a review is in order! Last week I talked about Rainshadow Lab's Moisture Treatment for Sensitive/Acne Skin, which I love, and today I'll be reviewing another moisturizer, their Super Skin Rejuvenating Creme. This is designed for "aging or sun-damaged skin", but I picked it up because it has 10% glycolic acid, as well as a host of moisturizing oils, and I have some wrinkles (primarily on my forehead, because my eyebrows are really expressive) and acne scars that I'd like to be minimized.
HCLC after a couple weeks' use
I've been using this every night for the past 3+ weeks, as well as occasionally during the day, and I haven't noticed any difference in the texture/tone of my skin. My use of glycolic acid in the past was less than inspiring, though, so I don't think I can blame RSL for the lackluster results––I should clearly just try different acids/chemicals for resurfacing. That being said, the Super Skin Rejuvenating Creme is really moisturizing and rich, which you can hopefully see in the picture below, comparing it with the Moisture Treatment and Oil-Free Lotion.
left to right: HCLC Super Skin Rejuvenating Creme,
QVMT Moisture Treatment for Sensitive/Acne Skin,
AOF Light Oil-Free Lotion
In spite of its thick, creamy texture, I find it only takes a few minutes (less than 5) for it to be completely absorbed, leaving my skin soft, plump, and happy. It works wonderfully under makeup, though I do see some shine peeking through slightly sooner than when I use the Moisture Treatment. However, this one is more moisturizing, and I think it would work well for skin up to normal-dry (really dry folks may need something stronger). And even though it hasn't (yet) given me perfectly beautiful skin, it definitely hasn't made it any worse, and considering how reactive my skin tends to be, that's pretty impressive. It's unscented except for the faint perfume of glycolic acid, which is mild and dissipates quickly.

Basically? If you find glycolic acid to be effective on your skin and you want a moisturizer that's rich enough for night but still quick-absorbing enough for day, you should consider the Super Skin Rejuvenating Creme. Samples are $3.95 for a 2 oz jar, and I will continue using mine until I order something to take its place (I'm considering something with retinol). Even if I don't sound super enthused about this particular moisturizer, I am completely in love with Rainshadow Labs––the products I've tried have been carefully formulated, pleasingly priced, and most amazing of all, haven't caused my skin to freak out (with one notable exception, but we'll get to that in due time!). I'm already planning out my next order.

Ingredients: Deionized Aqua (Water), Glycolic Acid, Squalane, Lactic Acid, Isopropyl Palmitate (Palm Oil), Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Sodium Hydroxide, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Vitis Vinifera (Grapeseed Oil), Organic Mahonia Aquifolium (Oregon Grape), Organic Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea), Organic Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice), Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba Oil), Calophyllum Tacamahaca (Tamanu Oil), Rosa Canina (Rose Hip Oil), Ubiquinone (Coenzyme Q10), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate), Phytic Acid, Phospholipids, Tocopheryl (Antioxidant), Lecithin, Pyrus Malus (Apple), Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon), Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane), Dipeptide Diaminobutyroyl Benzylamide Diacetate (peptides), Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass), Butylene Glycol, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C Palmitate), Acetyl Hexapeptide-3, Sclerotium Gum, Potassium Sorbate, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Benzyl Alcohol. 

$3.95 for 2 oz, available from Rainshadow Labs

How does your skin take glycolic acid? What's your favorite heavy moisturizer? Have you ever had to deal with freezing rain?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...